[pptp-server] Kernel 2.2.16-12 and inability to get PPTP work ing

Michael Walter walterm at Gliatech.com
Thu Aug 10 13:58:31 CDT 2000

I worked with this release as well, vpn masq'ing while indeed being present
in the kernel has not been applied correctly and simply doesn't work.  You
will still have to download and build your own kernel if you want to masq
vpn traffic.

Thanks,

Michael J. Walter
mcse mcp+i rhce a+
Network Administrator
Gliatech, Inc.
23420 Commerce Park Rd.
Beachwood, Ohio 44122
Tel: (216) 831-3200
Email: walterm at gliatech.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Smith [mailto:MSmith at webtonetech.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 10, 2000 2:37 PM
To: pptp-server at lists.schulte.org
Cc: 'ale at ale.org'
Subject: [pptp-server] Kernel 2.2.16-12 and inability to get PPTP
working

	I just put pinstripe(linux beta 7) on a machine because it had both
ip_gre and ip_masq_pptp modules compiled into the kernel but I still can't
get pptp to work correctly.  I have a win2k machine behind my firewall that
uses masquerading to connect through the new server to a pptp machine on the
net.  There is really nothing distinct about the messages in the syslog but
here they are:

Aug  9 22:18:44 hercules kernel: ip_masq_pptp_tcp(): OUT_CALL_REQUEST
192.168.1.2 -> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX CID=0 MCID=EE51
Aug  9 22:18:44 hercules kernel: ip_demasq_pptp_tcp(): OUT_CALL_REPLY
192.168.1.2 -> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX CID=0 MCID=EE51
Aug  9 22:19:21 hercules kernel: ip_masq_pptp_tcp(): CALL_DISCONNECT_NOTIFY
192.168.1.2 -> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX CID=0 MCID=EE51

If anyone has successfully used the ip_masq_pptp, I would appreciate some
help.

I don't see any packets being sent over GRE via ifconfig -a and I definitely
have port 1723 open.  I also have the ip address of the pptp server in my
hosts.allow.  Do ip_gre or ip_masq_pptp take some parameters?

Thanks in advance.

Michael A. Smith
Senior Software Developer
pptp-server maillist  -  pptp-server at lists.schulte.org