[pptp-server] Speed Question

Brian Klump klumpba at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 21 09:36:54 CDT 2000

Hello all...
    I recently installed poptop on a RedHat 6.2 distro...the machine is a P3
550 w/256MB of RAM.  However, when I try to access the VPN from home it
seems ungodly slow.  I turned off the MS encryption (I custom compiled the
PPPd) and that helped, but it still seems super slow.  I'm at a cable modem
at home and the pptp server resides on a dedicated business DSL line behind
a Linux firewall...also a RH 6.2, P3 550 128MB box.  Other applications,
such as HTTP and POP seem fine.  When I look at the messages log I see a lot
of "GRE out of order packets" in the log file.  Has anyone had this problem
and is it something that I can fix, or di I just need a bigger pipe into the
office?  Any help would be apprecaited...thanks!  FYI, although its slow,
the VPN is really cool!  It's neat to access the office files from home!

-Brian Klump