[pptp-server] NT domain logon via PoPToP

Thomas Klettke thomask at aesbus.com
Tue Aug 22 10:11:56 CDT 2000

I've setup a VPN with PoPToP (Win98 client via DSL to Linux Mandrake 7.1 server, chap). Connecting works fine, get an IP address, use win-dns in /etc/ppp/options to submit DNS. No problems with pinging machines from the client to the remote subnet.

My problem is the authentication by the NT domain server on the remote network. (PDC only, no BDC present). After seatblishing the tunnel I am prompted to enter username, password and domain for the NT server, yet I get the answer back that the domain controller can't be contacted. On the PDC's logfile however I see an entry in the logfile accknowledging successful logon from the win98 client with the correct username.

I have no problem mapping drives on NT servers, I have the correct permission when accessing those shares, just as I would locally. However, browsing the Network Neighborhood doesn't show anything but the local win98 client. (And yes, the settings for workgroup and domain as well as for dns are correct - checked that already.)
Could it been resolved by activating Samba on the VPN server, using it's WINS proxy? But then - I don't even have WINS installed anywhere on the NT domain.
Or could one of the "browse list" options in Samba help with it ?

Thanks for any help.
Thomas

Thomas Klettke
Network Administrator
Aesbus Knowledge Solutions
4606 FM1960 West, Suite 610
Houston, TX 77069

phone:                     +1 (281) 587-2247 ext 111
fax:                          +1 (281) 587-1593
fax in Deutschland:  (089) 2443 - 10378