[pptp-server] Can't Find PDC ?!?

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Wed Aug 23 10:56:50 CDT 2000

Without a WINS server on your local LAN, authenticating to a PDC (over a
VPN) is next to impossible unless your willing to create a LMHOSTS file that
contains the PDC entry. i.e. the 1Ch record. To understand why... read some
of my previous posts on this subject.

Based on your ppppd connection log file shown in this post, the "ms-wins"
option was set to 128.1.6.7.
1) Is there an active WINS server running at this address?
2) Does this WINS servers database contain the 1Ch record for the MS Domain
that you are trying to authenticate against? Should point to the PDC's ip
address.
3) Is the client PC that has established the VPN configured to authenticate
against this MS Domain?

Steve Cowles