[pptp-server] delay when authenticating by NT PDC

Thomas Klettke msh8r at swbell.net
Fri Aug 25 08:10:41 CDT 2000

I connect with a Win98SE client to a NT4 PDC via a Linux PoPToP server. (Had problem first finding the PDC, has been solved by installing WINS on the PDC - thanks, Steve)

After entering the login information for the NT domain it takes between 1 and 3 minutes before the authentication is completed (the NT logon script starts). The logs for both the pptp server and client show that a connection was established after a few seconds, the PDC's log show that I was repaetedly logging in and out before the logon script actually runs.

Once I'm logged in everything works fine, just like I was on the remote network locally (except for speed, sure).

Any ideas why the long delay?

Oh, yes: the W98 client knows the addresses for WINS and DNS.

Thanks for all help!
Thomas