[pptp-server] Connect linux PPTP server with NT VPN server?

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Thu Dec 7 11:05:37 CST 2000

I think you are limited to the two options (solutions) you talked about in
your post. Both will work. They are just implemented differently.

Connecting from your WinNT box (behind Linux firewall):
1) You will need to apply John Hardin's VPN masq patches to your firewalls
kernel.
2) Open the appropriate port/protocols for PPTP. protocol 47/TCP port 1723

Connecting from firewall with PPTP client (not server):
1) No need to apply John Hardin's VPN masq patches
2) Open the appropriate port/protocols for PPTP. protocol 47/TCP port 1723
3) Insure routing tables and ipchain rules reflect using PPP device for
packets destined for the remote LAN.

The later option is typically considered a LAN to LAN tunnel as opposed to a
HOST to LAN tunnel in the first option. Although, you really have not
specified the LAN (if any) at the remote NT VPN server.

Steve Cowles