[pptp-server] CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Tue Feb 1 06:50:27 CST 2000

I am using a heavily patched 2.2.13 kernel (ipsec + pptp + a few other
things) with no problems at all.  There is still the problem of poptop
blowing up under load, but I understand that is being addressed in the
1.1.1 version (yes?).

A lot problems can be caused by hardware drivers.  I had an interesting
problem where it appeared that the patched pppd was causing my kernel to
panic and lock up.  (Interesting in the academic sense; not interesting
as this was on our production server).  Turned out that the digi board
driver was being installed twice and pppd happened to trigger the
collapse.

My advice is to go through the latest kernel and prune everything you
don't need from it. Eliminate every driver you don't need.  Especially
redhat; they pack everything into the kernel.  There's support in there
for 6 year old CD ROMs...  ancient sound cards...  NFS...  Appletalk...
Novell...  Also, I am using a stock 2.2.13 kernel from kernel.org on my
RH 6.0 system; my understanding is that RH heavily patches the kernels
they release from their web site, so there may be some interactions
there the are unique to RH releases of the kernel.  The stock kernel
works perfectly fine in a RH system.

--Yan

--

Think different