[pptp-server] Can't get PoPToP to work when tunnel is via ISP and modem link

Michael Walter walterm at Gliatech.com
Tue Feb 1 12:38:30 CST 2000

We regularly use Poptop to support users from the netherlands, japan,
germany, etc... dialing into our server in cleveland ohio.  We have a
fractional T1 in cleveland, remote users use at&t worldnet service(basically
several local isp's in those countries(very random quality), and a vpn
connection to at&t(forced by the software).  The users are all nt4 sp4 or
sp6(due to need for multiple vpn connections).  They then connect to our vpn
through at&t's vpn(tunnel in a tunnel in a modem connection).  Works like a
charm, so if it is possible under these conditions it should be possible
anywhere.  We use redhat 6.0, pppd 2.3.8, and pptpd 1.0.0.

Thanks,
Michael J. Walter mcse rhce
walterm at gliatech.com
216-831-3200

-----Original Message-----
From: John Matthews [mailto:John.Matthews at madge.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 01, 2000 1:28 PM
To: pptp-server at lists.schulte.org
Subject: [pptp-server] Can't get PoPToP to work when tunnel is via ISP
and modem link

All,
  I've got PoPToP working when the tunnel is across a LAN but I can't seem
to get it working when the tunnel goes via my ISP and a modem link. Has
anyone got PoPToP working like this ? Otherwise do I take it from the
following entry in the TODO list that I'm going to have to wait for a future
version.
"990802  -  We don't actually implement any kind of window protocol,
congestion control, etc, etc. Very simple algorithm which works well on LANs
and good performance links but could be improved for slow distant
dialups/bad routing and links."

John Matthews

pptp-server maillist  -  pptp-server at lists.schulte.org