[pptp-server] Help with configuration!

Chris Williams willic2 at mail.auburn.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:46:41 CST 2000

The way we are setup is like this:

 -----------    -------------   --------   -------    --------------
 | large   |    |           |   |      |   |     |    |            |
 | campus  |----| firewall  |---| 'net |---| ISP |----| win client |
 | network |    |           |   |      |   |     |    |            |
 -----------    -------------   --------   -------    --------------

The PPTP server is actually within the large campus network with the ports
opened at the firewall to let the PPTP traffic through.

This allows the client to dial into his ISP then start the VPN session.  I
thought that this would mean that the windows machine would only route
tcp/ip packets to/through the poptop server running inside the campus
network.

If I'm wrong then the client will route packets through the internet OR the
pptp server, whichever it thinks it needs to, right?  If this is the case,
what's the point of getting encryption working?  Why wouldn't the client
trying to access a web site like netscape.com send those packets through the
pptp server then they would be routed to the netscape server off campus?
This way, the client will have a secure connection and be (in effect) behind
a firewall.

Another big question:  If I'm wrong and the above is true about the routing,
how in the heck can I test this setup?  If I go to the engineering web page,
there are 2 different versions: one for people from off campus and one for
people on campus.  When we set up the VPN adapter and try to go the
engineering web page, we get the off campus one.

Do you understand my problem here?  Maybe you can clear up my incorrect
assumptions.

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on the list mom to either accept or decline my
message with the logs attached.