[pptp-server] Help with configuration!

Chris Williams willic2 at mail.auburn.edu
Wed Feb 9 16:25:21 CST 2000

>> The way we are setup is like this:
>>
>> -----------    -------------   --------   -------    --------------
>> | large   |    |           |   |      |   |     |    |            |
>> | campus  |----| firewall  |---| 'net |---| ISP |----| win client |
>> | network |    |           |   |      |   |     |    |            |
>> -----------    -------------   --------   -------    --------------
>>
>> The PPTP server is actually within the large campus network with the ports
>> opened at the firewall to let the PPTP traffic through.
>>
>> This allows the client to dial into his ISP then start the VPN session.  I
>> thought that this would mean that the windows machine would only route
>> tcp/ip packets to/through the poptop server running inside the campus
>> network.
>
> If that is the behavior you would like, turn 'Use default gateway' on in
> the connection profile on the winblows box.

Ok, we turned that one off so we'll turn it back on and try that..

>> Another big question:  If I'm wrong and the above is true about the routing,
>> how in the heck can I test this setup?  If I go to the engineering web page,
>> there are 2 different versions: one for people from off campus and one for
>> people on campus.  When we set up the VPN adapter and try to go the
>> engineering web page, we get the off campus one.
>
> What do you mean by the engineering web page? I'm confused here; are YOU
> the one trying to get the pptp server working, or are you a client trying
> to get access to the pptp server?

Both.  We are setting up the PoPToP code along with the client software.  As
for the engineering web page, we have an engineering web page that has a
different version depending on weather you are on or off the campus network.
We are trying to test this configuration by seeing if the client loads the
on-campus version of the page or the off-campus version.

>> Do you understand my problem here?  Maybe you can clear up my incorrect
>> assumptions.
>>
>> Meanwhile, I'm still waiting on the list mom to either accept or decline my
>> message with the logs attached.
>
> You can forward them directly to me if you so desire.

Tell you what, we'll try with use default gateway turned on in the client
and see if that works.  As I recall, this gave us problems before.  I'll
send you THOSE logs...  ;)

Thanks for your help!
Chris Williams
willic2 at mail.auburn.edu