[pptp-server] PPTPCTRL Kills my Linux Server!

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Mon Feb 14 18:56:54 CST 2000

Jim Morris <Jim at Morris.net> writes:

> The system having the problem is the SMP system - in one case, the
> Kernel "oops" message occured on CPU 0 - on the other two cases, on
> CPU 1, as above.

There is a known race condition in the 2.2.x TTY layer.  If I remember
correctly from what I read on linux-kernel, it manifests itself most
clearly on SMP systems running pppd.  It would not surprise me at all
if PoPToP exacerbated the problem (since it pushes data faster than a
modem).

The race condition should be fixed by the next 2.2.15 prerelease...
But I suggest sending your crash dump to linux-kernel at vger.rutgers.edu
anyway just in case.  There is *nothing* PoPToP is doing that should
crash the kernel.

 - Pat