[pptp-server] pptp client and poptop *SUCCESS*

Terrelle Shaw hshaw at xytek.org
Tue Feb 15 07:58:39 CST 2000

Hello all!
    After searching through archives and playing around with my settings. I have FINALLY gotten pptp client ( 1.0.2) working. My setup.

PPTP Client:
linux 2.2.14
PPPD(2.3.10) #module
ppp-driver in kernel ( 2.3.7) <--- this is default with Slackware 7.0
pptp-client 1.0.2
Other modules: slhc,ppp_deflate,bsd_comp
    This client sits behind a linux masq/firewall which is running kernel 2.2.13 ( with ipv4 tunneling and gre compiled in)

PPTP Server:
This server doubles as the VPN server and router/firewall(linux)
Kernel 2.3.13
Modules(ppp,slhc,ppp_deflate,ppp_mppe,bsd_comp)
pptp-server(pptpd-1.0.0)
pppd(2.3.10)

Resources:
Here is my options file on the client side.. not much there:

name name_of_vpnserver
user myusername
password mypassword
noauth
lock
defaultroute
( i have to setup a gateway route for the ppp0 interface when it gets established, i think its because of the last line of my options.. i'll work it out later)

Options file on the server:
name name_of_vpnserver
debug
ms-dns 10.0.0.1
ms-wins 10.0.0.106
netmask 255.255.255.0
proxyarp
nodeflate
bsdcomp 15,15
auth
+chap
lock
mppe-40
#mpp-stateless
+chapms
+chapms-v2
defaultroute

Here is my chap-secrets for the client:
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
hshaw           *       mysecret               *

My chap-secrets on the server:
# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
hshaw           *       mysecret              *

The problem i was having about a week ago was that i hadn't started the modules first before trying to establish a connection.
*duh!*

So right now i'm connected to my office Lan and my home lan via the pptp connection thru my ADSL modem.

I hope this helps someone in the future. I would gladly help anyone who wants to get there linux box setup with a similar setup.

Terrelle

Stephen Tan wrote:
{snip}