[pptp-server] pptp client and poptop *SUCCESS*

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Tue Feb 15 10:14:33 CST 2000

Terrelle,

Your post worked!!! Thank you. I can sleep now. But I must admit that the
man pages on pppd are a little confusing... to say the least. From the man
pages on the "name" parameter

       name name
              Set the name of the local system for authentication
              purposes to name.  This  is  a  privileged  option.
              With  this  option,  pppd  will  use  lines  in the
              secrets files which have name as the  second  field
              when  looking for a secret to use in authenticating
              the peer.  In addition, unless overridden with  the
              user  option, name will be used as the name to send
              to the peer when authenticating the local system to
              the  peer.   (Note  that  pppd  does not append the
              domain name to name.)

I guess what threw me, was the "local system" part of the first sentence.
But yet in the options file we (you) are specifying the remote system which
is then matched in the chap-secrets file. This corresponds to the second
sentence. Kind of confusing. I was using the "remotename" parameter. <groan>

Anyway, after a little testing, I came up with the following options file
which is a little more universal.

Thanks again (to everyone) who replied to this post.
Steve Cowles

================================
/etc/ppp/options on client side
lock
auth
+chap
+chapms
+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets
scowles  * password *
COWLES\\scowles  * password *

And then invoke pptp as follows
pptp enterprise name enterpise user COWLES\\scowles
  or
pptp enterprise name enterpise user scowles

Basically, I'm specifying the name/user paramerters on the pptp command
line. The server side options file I left alone. It is setup per the PopTop
WEB Howto. Before attempting the pptp client nightmare, I was using my
Laptop with NT workstation (SP6) so I needed the MS Domain name in my
chap-secrets file. Either one of the above examples worked.