[pptp-server] MS Connect Confusion

Matthew Ramsay matthewr at moreton.com.au
Thu Feb 17 18:15:15 CST 2000

Gday Conrad,

For win95 you need a dial-up-networking patch. For windows 98 you have to make
sure you installed it (via windows setup->communications etc).

PoPToP will work with these clients without any pppd MSCHAPv2/MPPE updates..
You only need to patch the software if you want stronger
authentication/encryption.

With a standard pppd you do *not* get any encryption.

Cheers,
Matt.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, C Conrad wrote:
>I am certain that I am confused.
>
>I read, and re-read the Howto (kudos) and then was
>confused. I thought that poptop would work for
>Win95/98 machines without any additions. In the Howto
>they reference that I will need to install a pppd
>patch to use MSCHAPV2/MPPE. Does this mean that
>without this patch we will still get encryption, just
>not as robust (fixed) as with the patch?
>
>CTCTCTC
Matthew Ramsay
Moreton Bay