[pptp-server] POPTOP and FreeBSD PPP

Chris Ellingsen chris.ellingsen at sympatico.ca
Sun Feb 20 13:47:29 CST 2000

Hi,

I have been doing some extensive testing with poptop in its FreeBSD version
which uses its own userland ppp program. I know that my PPP settings are ok
because I can connect using a dial-up connection and it all negociates fine. I
also know that the poptop program is working fine because the PPTP connection
negociates and pptpctrl starts up the GRE and forks the ppp process ok. There
just seems to be a problem in the communications between the two processes, it
really looks like there is no data being passed through the socket pair. Of
course, if either end closes the connection, it will shut down, since either the
ppp process exits, or the remote end shuts down the pptp connection. The ppp
process reports that it did not recieve any characters in the log, so that is
what is making me wonder...

I am just wondering if there is any bug in the way the socket pair is being
setup between the processes, and since I am not an expert at unix socket
programming, I cannot do any further debugging...

If any one of you guys who worked on the program could take a look at it it
would be greatly appreciated...

Chris