[pptp-server] IP Masquerade/PPTP Issues

Blake Watters h20 at midsouth.rr.com
Mon Feb 21 17:09:17 CST 2000

I have a rather odd network setup and I'm not quite sure how to address the problems I am having. I have PPTP and Samba both set up and running beautifully in the following setup:

-------------------------------------
Linux Box (2.2.14)
Samba/PPTP (MSCHAP)
Multihomed: 24.xx.xx.xx
And 192.168.1.2

Windows 98SE
Single Homed: 192.168.1.4
Internet Access via IP Masq

Now, the VPN setup works great - I have a bunch of friends/coworkers all on the network and everyone can see each other/use it and life is good. However, for my client here behind the firewall I can't access any of the clients outside the network.

For instance, my friend Edward logs onto the network and Jenova (his box) shows up in Network Neighborhood, but when I attempt to connect to him it fails. He can access my machines (Samba on the Linux box and the files shared on the Windows box) but I can't even browse his system.

I considered installing the IP Masq modules needed for file servers behind the network - but I am wary of mucking up Samba's happy existence. I also considered ipchains hackery - but alas I know not what rules to apply.

Any ideas?

Blake Watters