[pptp-server] pptp client - FAQ stuff

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Thu Feb 24 09:12:56 CST 2000

Neale,

I agree... My goal at this end is to

1) Establish a "baseline" configuration for the PPTP servers. (both NT and
PopTop/pppd) Right now my pppd server is setup per the PopTop Howto on the
WEB page. e.g. The options file and the chap-secrets file structure along
with all of the proper patching. My NT RAS server is a member of an NT
domain. All authentication will require the DOMAIN\\loginame.

2) Provide you with some "real world" examples of the chap-secrets and
options files on both the client/server sides. Hopefully, I will be able to
correlate the "debug" output per each test. I will be asking each tester to
tarball up each attempt. e.g. The current options file/chap-secrets file,
pptp command line used and the "debug" output for that attempt. Hopefully, I
will not have to make changes to the options file at this end, but if I
do... I will make sure this information is relayed back so that the PopTop
WEB site howto can be updated.

3) As a "personal" target of these tests, I would like to fully understand
the pppd options name/remotename/user and how that information is
interpreted by the pptp server/client. I really struggled on this
(especially with NT RAS). Like what line was actually being matched in the
chap-secrets file based on the supplied pppd options. This info might make
for a good "appendix" section. Again, this is my personal target, but I
think this information might help others when trying to debug new
Poptop/pppd installations.

4) The MS factor.... All the different versions of MS's dialup networking
(WIN98/NT 4.0 )and the patches that have been applied to the MS client.
Although this might be a little out of scope for these tests, I think this
info might be useful for baselining on the client side.

Feedback...

Steve Cowles