[pptp-server] OK, fixed first prob. now another

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Thu Jan 6 05:57:06 CST 2000

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Michael St. Laurent wrote:

> I think I fixed the peer refused authentication problem.  I needed entries
> *for* both machines *on* both machines in the chap-secrets files.  Now that
> I've got that the systems seem to keep sending challenges and responses
> back and forth but never go any further.  Log file attached.

Your ppp options wouldn't include "chap-interval 3" by any chance?
Snippet from my default ppp options:

---------------------------------8<---------------------------------
# If this option is given, pppd will rechallenge the peer every <n>
# seconds.
#chap-interval <n>
---------------------------------8<---------------------------------

Also, in addition to my previous comments re "noauth" here's what the
default options file has to say:

---------------------------------8<---------------------------------
# Require the peer to authenticate itself before allowing network
# packets to be sent or received.
# Please do not disable this setting. It is expected to be standard in
# future releases of pppd. Use the call option (see manpage) to disable
# authentication for specific peers.
auth

The above snippets are from ppp-2.3.8, obviously YMMV with other versions.

HTH,
Neale.