[pptp-server] delay in accessing an nt domain

John Nitis john at artxinc.com
Thu Jan 6 21:59:04 CST 2000

Hello,

I'm having problems doing anything that uses netbios over tcp/ip via my pptp
connection.  The client is a Windows NT WS 4.0 box with SP6a, and the server
is Mandrake Linux 5.0 with poptop, pptpd, and pppd.  I can login to PPTP
just fine, but the problems begin when I try to browse the network.  I can
eventually browse the network (I have WINS servers setup) but it's *very*
slow to come up.  When I click on network neighborhood it just pauses for
about a minute, and then it pops up with all of the computers on the
network.  All standard TCP/IP communications are fine (such as telnet) -
it's just netbios that's goofed up.

As far as I can tell, this is a name resolution problem.  I have both DNS
and WINS configured correctly - what could be causing the long delay in
accessing netbios/smb/netbeui resources via my PPTP connection?

Thank you,

John Nitis
john at artxinc.com