[pptp-server] pptpctrl problems?

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Sun Jan 9 06:47:00 CST 2000

At some point during a long session yesterday I started getting these
messages in my syslog:

Jan  8 18:26:39 aphrodite pptpd[30662]: CTRL: Unexpected control message
0 in disconnect sequence
Jan  8 18:26:39 aphrodite pptpd[30662]: CTRL: EOF or bad error reading
ctrl packet length.
Jan  8 18:26:39 aphrodite pptpd[30662]: CTRL: couldn't read packet
header (exit)

at the rate of 2-3 per second.  Enough to tie up one of my CPUs at 100%
util.

This persisted even though I disconnected the VPN session.  I then
killed pptpd; still no joy.  The problem stopped after I killed
pptpctrl.

I restarted pptpd, and now am running with no problems.

During all this time, there was no impact on the VPN session itself;
transfers went on as normal....

Questions:

1.  Should I be starting pptpctrl from inetd?  Right now, I am letting
pptpd start it.
2.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  I think the problem may have
started when the VPN session abruptly termintated and I reconnected.

--Yan