[pptp-server] Re: Hi, I'm in trouble with the same config as you

Seosamh D. Ó Riordáin soriordain at asitatech.com
Fri Jan 14 09:25:20 CST 2000

Hi Yann,

I didn't manage to get the pptp-linux-1.0.2 client talking to
PoPToP 1.0.0, (as yet), - it needs to be looked at further,
and I may get time to do this in the next couple of weeks.
It doesn't appear that anyone on the list has got this negotiating
40(or 128) bit MPPE to the PoPToP server. I've seen other
messages asking about this also but they went unanswered.
Microsoft clients(NT/W9[5|8]) do connect with 40(or 128) bit
MPPE alright. This appears to be a negotiation problem between
the linux client side and PoPToP, ie in PPPD. Logs show different
messages being exchanged than when negotiating with the
Microsoft clients.

The pptp-linux client does connect to PPTP successfully, if
you ensure the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets on both machines are
similar, the options file and the pptp command are like the ones
I had in my last mail to the list. However, with this setup, it will
connect with MSCHAP-V2(seen in the log on the pptp server)
but there will be no encryption.
I'll let you know if I make any progress (when I get time) on the
linux client side.

Regards,
Seosamh