[pptp-server] Problem with more than one VPN client

Matthew Ramsay matthewr at moreton.com.au
Wed Jan 19 16:54:35 CST 2000

>> one local ip is fine.
>> a different remote IP required for all simultaneous clients is required though.
>> i doubt this was the cause of the error though.
>
>Well, but you would have to add an alias for each of the local ip's on the
>machine, right? (Eg, the local IP has to point to a valid IP address for
>the machine running the PPTP server..) Or am I totally misunderstanding
>what the local IP is (it IS the local end of the PPP tunnel, correct)?  =)

the local/remote addresses don't have to be a part of your LAN.. you can make
any weird private address up and use them.. linux does the routing and will work
things out for you.. for example. Private LAN: 192.168.0.*

local ip: 10.255.255.254
remoteip: 10.255.254.250-254

a machine somewhere on the internet VPNs into the poptop server.. and is handed
10.255.254.250 (for example).. but it can now ping 192.168.0.*

cheers,
matt