[pptp-server] Newbie / PPTP on a firewall

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Thu Jan 20 11:42:11 CST 2000

Yes - but it's not a simple setup.

If you only firewall the public interface, you need ipchains code
similar to:

echo -n "pptp..."
ipchains -A pub-in -p tcp \
        --sport $UNPRIV_PORTS \
        -d $PUBLIC_IP pptpctrl \
        -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A pub-in -p pptp \
        -d $PUBLIC_IP \
        -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A pub-out -p tcp \
        --source $PUBLIC_IP pptpctrl \
        --dport $UNPRIV_PORTS \
        -j ACCEPT
ipchains -A pub-out -p pptp \
        --source $PUBLIC_IP \
        -j ACCEPT
echo ""

If you also firewall the internal interface, that gets a lot more
complicated, as you have to handle all the smb protocol, broadcasts,
etc.

Remember that ppp0 is your "public" interface, and ppp1 and on are the
VPN interfaces.  You need to have different firewall rules for those.

I have pptpd running on my firewall for win95/winNT, and it has proven
stable under the vast majority of uses.  I still can't see/mount shares
on some of my internal servers, but that's due to the internal firewall
code, not pptpd.

--Yan

--

Think different