[pptp-server] CTRL: couldn't read packet header (exit)

Tony Skinner tlskinner at hendersontrucking.com
Mon Jan 31 18:30:13 CST 2000

Well the only other possibility is my distribution of Linux. I am using Red
Hat v6.1. I have installed all the latest updates. However, I have reverted
the kernel back to 2.2.5 and pppd to 2.3.8 so I can maintain functionality
with PoPToP.

When I initially upgraded to the latest 2.2.12-20 kernel, PoPToP would
correctly negotiate the connection with the Windows 98 clients;however,
after a random amount of time, the client's connection would seize up and
stop responding. The errors being generated were Checksum errors reported
from pppd-2.3.10. It also gave a "too short packet received" from pppd.

Like I said, the seizing was entirely random but typically the maximum
amount of the time it would function was around 5-6 minutes. More often,
the connection siezed in a matter of seconds.

I can easily reproduce this error with my current setup. If you require, I
can gather as much debug information as possible and send it to you for
examination. In case your wondering, I followed the instructions on your
website for installation to the T. I followed the exact same prescription
in all cases.

Tony Skinner