[pptp-server] question of performance ... ?

John Van Ostrand john at netdirect.ca
Fri Jul 7 07:44:57 CDT 2000

We have seen good performance on LANs. I don't have the numbers but it is
much better than you describe.

I don't think the baud rate in the config file has anything to do with the
actual transfer rate. In fact on the Win9x end Microsoft says the baud rate
reported on PPTP connections is an estimation based on the time it takes to
authenticate the tunnel.

We are having WAN performance problems though. I think it might be something
to do with the "windowing" that PPTP does. The TODO list indicates that
windowing needs to be improved. Bad windowing will cause significant
performance problems on links with high latency or packet loss.

Can anyone confirm that windowing is a problem? Is the development version
better at this?

Thanks,

John.