[pptp-server] PPTP Linux Client

Ronnie F. Moller, Jr. support at redware.net
Thu Jul 13 08:43:54 CDT 2000

I have read the archives for configuring a linux client, but have a problem
that appears to be very very basic, but for me it is very very complicated.

First my configuration.

SERVER - Linux RH6.2 2.2.14-5.0, PPP 2.3.11, openssl-0.9.5-mppe.patch
pptpd-1.0.0

eth0=public ip
eth1=private ip

At boot loading PPTPD, and test that m$ clients can connect to the VPN
128bit, and all works well.

CLIENT - Linux RH6.2 2.2.14-5.0, PPP 2.3.11, openssl-0.9.5-mppe.patch,
pptpd-1.0.0, pptp-linux 1.0.2. At boot loaded the *exact* same as required
by server, including the pptpd. I have also tried not loading the pptpd, but
it appears to not make a difference.

----------------------------
/etc/ppp/options on client:
lock
debug
user myname
password mypass
noauth
defaultroute
+chap
+chapms
+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless
proxyarp

when I issue the command to connect [pptp <server ip> user <myname>], I get
messages indicating a connection, but when I do an ifconfig I get no listing
for a ppp+ interface. If I do ifconfig -A, then I see ppp0, but no ip
address is listed for it.

Any suggestions as to what I am missing?

Thank you
Ronnie Moller

ronnie AT redware DOT net