[pptp-server] NT Authenication - slighty off topic

awilliam at whitemice.org awilliam at whitemice.org
Thu Jul 13 13:22:50 CDT 2000

> Isn't it possible just to use a pam module to authenticate pppd users
from
> NT?  I think I've seen information about it somewhere.

Not if you want encryption.  PAM only works with PAP because PAP
provides the clear text password to the PAM stack and PAM returns yes
or no.  Encryption requires the use of CHAP/MS-CHAP which must have
access to the NT hashed version of the password, from which "keys" are
generated,  and PAM cannot return the password text.