[pptp-server] I have that sinking feeling of cluelessness...

jbodnar at team-linux.com jbodnar at team-linux.com
Fri Jul 14 17:24:17 CDT 2000

> Ah, actually I'm the client side, and my boss has set up the windows
> server using whatever propritary voodoo one uses for that sort of thing.
>
> But I get your drift I think, then my client should have a pptp.conf file
> containing:
>
>   localip 192.168.88.7
>   remoteip 192.168.88.64-127
>
> ?

No, if you're on the client side than you shouldn't be using PoPToP. You need
the Linux pptp client:

http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~cananian/Projects/PPTP/

There are also packages for it on http://w3.rufus.org.

Once you have the package installed you want to make your /etc/ppp/options look
something like:

user jbodnar
password xxxxxxxx
noauth
lock
defaultroute

And then setup /etc/ppp/chap-secrets like:

# Secrets for authentication using CHAP
# client        server  secret                  IP addresses
jbodnar * xxxxxxx *

Then do:

$ su
$ pptp 111.11.11.11 user jbodnar
$ route add -net 192.168.1.0 gw 192.168.1.112

--
Jason Bodnar + jbodnar at team-linux.com + Team Linux

Marge!  I'm two-thirty-nine, and I'm feeling fine!

                -- Homer Simpson
                   Brush With Greatness