[pptp-server] Name resolution and Optimization

Sean McCulloch seanm at jflinc.com
Thu Jul 20 08:35:00 CDT 2000

Hi.  I have poptop 1.0.0 installed on a RedHat firewalling / masquerading
system.  Everything seems to be working fine except a few things.  Our
network includes Windows NT/98/95/2000 clients on a class C network which
get logged onto the domain via an NT4.0 PDC.  Right now from one of my 98
boxes I can login to the vpn, use Find-->Computers-->(Specify the ip
address) and the machine will be found.  As long as the access control is
set to share-level, then I can browse the shares on the system, download
files etc...  However, if user-level access control is enabled, it asks me
for a password, but because I'm not logged onto the domain it doesn't accept
the domain password I type in.  Right now my chap-secrets file is NOT setup
with the domainname\\validname notation....  If this notation is used, must
the username / password exist on my PDC?  Next problem, when I'm logged into
the vpn, I would like all the machines to show up in Network Neighborhood,
or at least be able to use find->computers..... using the NetBios machine
names and not the ip addresses.  What would be the easiest way to implement
something either on the Linux box or PDC which would accomplish this task.
Would setting up some sort of local WINS service on the PDC and then include
the ms-wins <ip address> option in my /etc/ppp/options work?  Not too sure
Finally, I was testing the setup from a remote site last night using a 28.8
dial up connection and it was very very slow.  What mru etc... settings
should I have to optimize access from a dial-up connection?  I read in the
ppp docs that an mru of 296 is good for a slow link.  Well, that' s about it
for now.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean