[pptp-server] POPTOP configuration / connection problems / error messages

Charles Peters - Tech Support support at tecpro.com
Mon Jul 24 21:03:46 CDT 2000

Greetings:

I have set up a VPN with PopTop.  My server configuration is
FreeBSD 4.0-Release, and Samba 2.0.7.  I have installed the
PopTop port on this server to allow for the VPN connections.

My server has 2 network cards, one internet ip address (ip address
= 24.x.x.x), and one internal non-routable ip address (ip address =
192.168.0.55).

I would like to connect to this server from both internal locations
over my lan, and from remote locations via a cable modem.  The
VPN server is connected to a cable modem and a local area
network.

I think that my problem is not with my PopTop configuration, but
with my PPP configuration.

The following are from my configuration files:

/usr/local/etc/pptpd.conf
	speed 115200
	option	/etc/ppp/options
	debug
	localip 192.168.0.234-238,192.168.0.245
	remoteip 192.168.1.234-238,192,168.1.245
	ipxnets 00001000-00001FFF
	listen 192.168.0.4
	listen 224.224.x.x
	pidfile /var/run/pptpd.pid
	###  I don't understand the localip and remoteip lines

/etc/ppp/chap-secrets
	dummy		D123456
	### remote userid = dummy    remote userpassword = D123455

/etc/ppp/options
	debug
	name otis_vpn
	auth
	require-chap
	proxyarp
	#### I don't understand the name otis_vpn line

/etc/ppp/ppp.deny
	root
	toor
	daemon
	operator
	bin
	games
	news
	man
	ftp
	uucp
	xten
	ingres

Also, when setting up my windows dial-up networking connection
information, and I enter the username and password, the username
is always converted into all uppercase letters, yet, my FreeBSD
username uses all lowercase letters.  What do I need to do to
resolve this, or can it be resolved?

Lastly, when I attempt to connect to the VPN server from the
Windows client box, the follwoing error message is displayed to
screen and to my /var/log/messages file:

	pptp: Configuration label not found

My /var/log/ppp.log file logs the following error messages:

	Jul 22 01:54:48 otis ppp[30053]: Warning: Label pptp rejected -
direct connection: Configuration label not found

This message is generated each time that I try and log into the
VPN server.

I have read the docs, and am obviously missing something.  A
point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Charles

support at tecpro.com
Charles Peters