[pptp-server] PPTP Linux Client

Gord Belsey gord at amador.ca
Tue Jul 25 08:47:38 CDT 2000

Hi, Ronnie:

I came across this when I set up my first poptop vpn.  To fix it I did a
couple of things.  First, I added the following to the options file in
/etc/ppp:

lcp-echo-failure 10
lcp-echo-interval 5

lcp echos are basically a heartbeat to make sure the link is up.  In this
case, I'm allowing 10 "heartbeats" to fail, and a "failure" is no response
within 5 seconds, so if theree are no lcp echo's for 50 seconds the link is
considered down and the client closes it's connection.  You can play around
with these settings to find what works best for you.

The other thing I did was to add an ip-down.local script in the /etc/ppp
directory (ip-down runs whenever an interface goes down, and automagically
runs ip-down.local if it exists and its execute permissions are set
correctly).  In here, I rm /var/run/ppp-xxx.dev, (where xxx is the
remotename) and remove the route to the remote LAN.  This should happen
automatically, but I found it didn't when the link failed.

I also added an ip-down.local on the POPTOP server.  It just removes the
route to the remote LAN.

I'm pretty sure that's all it took.  Give this a try, and let me know if you
still have problems.  I did some other things to automatically restart a
connection if it fails, so I may have overlooked some detail related to your
poblem.

Good luck

Gord Belsey