[pptp-server] PPTP/SAMBA problem

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Thu Jul 27 08:49:52 CDT 2000

You mentioned in a previous post that you can attach shares to your linux
box when connected to your local LAN. If thats the case, then the only
(glaring) thing I can see from your config files...

--- > pptpd.conf < ---
localip 192.168.7.1
remoteip 192.168.7.2-51

--- > smb.conf < ---
hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127. 192.168.4. 192.168.3.

Where is the 192.168.7. entry for your "hosts allow" line in smb.conf file?
Your assigning the remote PPTP client a 192.168.7.2-51 IP address but this
LAN address is NOT allowed to connect to the Samba server. This might be the
source of your problem, although when I've have had this problem, the Samba
log files at least show that the connection was rejected.

BTW: MS error message 51 is...
C:\>net helpmsg 51

The remote computer is not available.

Although not a requirement, running a WINS server does solve alot of
problems associated with using "Network Neighborhood" and/or building the
"master browser list". Especially for remote PPTP clients. Remember, MS
Networking (by default) uses broadcast packets to build the browser list.
Based on the fact that your PPTP server is acting as a router (which is
normal), it does NOT pass these broadcast packets to/from your LAN. Running
a WINS server solves this problem by making all nodes on the network
(including the PPTP remote) query the WINS server instead of issuing a
broadcast. Obviously, all nodes on your LAN must have their TCP/IP
parameters changed to support (register with) the WINS server at boot up.

Also, if the above has convinced you to enable a WINS server on your LAN
(your Samba server can be configured as a WINS server) you will also need to
modify your DHCP scope to include WINS server and setting all nodes to be
type "hybrid" instead of "broadcast". i.e. 0x8. Since your using ISC DHCP...
the options that need to be added are... (from: man 5 dhcp-options)

   option  netbios-name-servers  ip-address  [, ip-address...
   ];

      The NetBIOS name server (NBNS) option specifies a  list
      of  RFC  1001/1002 NBNS name servers listed in order of
      preference.   NetBIOS Name Service  is  currently  more
      commonly  referred  to  as  WINS.   WINS servers can be
      specified using the netbios-name-servers option.

    option netbios-node-type uint8;

      The NetBIOS node type option allows NetBIOS over TCP/IP
      clients  which  are  configurable  to  be configured as
      described in RFC 1001/1002.  The value is specified  as
      a single octet which identifies the client type.

      Possible node types are:

          1    B-node: Broadcast - no WINS
          2    P-node: Peer - WINS only.
          4    M-node: Mixed - broadcast, then WINS
          8    H-node: Hybrid - WINS, then broadcast

Hope the above helps
Steve Cowles