[pptp-server] PPTP & LVS

Kenneth E. Lussier klussier at mclinux.com
Thu Jul 27 14:28:48 CDT 2000

The short and simple answer is that yes, you can do the load balencing
with either LVS or "round-robin" DNS scheme. However, before I go into a
detailed explaination, I want to be up front about the fact that I work
for Mission Critical Linux, which developed the Kimberlite clustering
software. I'm a sysadmin, so I'm not involved with sales, marketing,
etc. I do have a bias toward our software because I think it's cool
technology, not because I get payed to say it is ;-) So, now on to the
long, involved answer:

The problem that you run into when you implement only a load balancing
solution is the handling of dead nodes. With RR-DNS, the DNS server will
send traffic to a specific set of machines. If one of those machines
dies, the DNS server will still direct traffic to it, wait for a
timeout, then fail to the next. LVS is a little smarter, and it can
detect a dead node and remove it from it's load map. The problem there
is that the dead node can come back to life and think it is still in the
loop and muck everything up. Either one of these solutions can have
serious implications in an enterprise-level envirionment. If you are
planning on doing this for a large company, and the servers need to be
highly available, I really recommend a clustered solution. With a
cluster, you have two (or more boxes), and if one of them dies, the
other assumes it's identity through gratuitios ARP. With the Kimberlite
package, the one that takes over shoots the other box in the head, so to
speak, so that it can't come back to life unexpectedly and muck
everything up. So, if you implement a clustered solution, the system (in
theory) can never go down. Now, if you put an LVS director in front of
this, you could have several two-node clusters to spread out the work.
To the outside world, there is one IP address, but the reality is
several different machines sharing the load, and a perfect HA solution.
However, I seriously recommend a clustered LVS director, since it will
be taking all of the hits, and if *IT* goes down, your screwed ;-)

Just my $.02,
Kenny

--
Kenny Lussier