[pptp-server] Working with W9X Clients

Jose M. Sanchez opjose at ex-pressnet.com
Thu Jul 27 18:13:05 CDT 2000

No this is not a simple one.

Shares are published over a local lan via "Broadcast" packets.

Unfortunately PPP does not route broadcast packets over the link.

As a result your remote machines are unaware of the shares.

On way around this is to set up a WINS server, then point the remote
machines at it. This lets the WINS server collect the list of shares and
deliver the list to the non routable clients.

Samba can provide WINS services for you if your LAN does not have an NT
server on it, but you might want to set up DNS as well.

Once you've done this, make sure that the remote machines are "members" of
the same workgroup as well.

I've so far been unable to get around this latter problem. If the remote
client is not a member of the same domain, even with WINS it is unable to
see the shares... but it can connect to them by name.

-JMS
opjose at ex-pressnet.com