[pptp-server] FreeBSD, Samba, PoPToP Connection Problems (internally and externally)

Charles Peters - Tech Support support at tecpro.com
Mon Jul 31 11:43:58 CDT 2000

Greetings:

I have a FreeBSD 4.0 server running Samba 2.0.7, and PoPToP-
1.0.0.  I have 2 network interface cards in this machine, one with
an internal ip address (192.168.0.4) and the other with an external
ip address (24.4.xxx.xxx).  This machine is connected to the
internet via a cable modem, and is also connected to a lan on
192.168.0.

My Windows 98 computer is also connected to the lan, with an ip
address of 192.168.0.7.  When this machine attempts to establish
a vpn connection to the internal interface (192.168.0.4), the
connection is allowed, but when I try and connect to the external
network card from the win 98 box, I get the following error:

	Error 629:  You have been disconnected from the computer
	that you dialed. Double click the connection to try again.

I also get the same error from computers accross the internet
attempting to connect to the external adapter.  These other
computers are also on lans, but have internet access via a cable
modem and a freebsd gateway running nat and ipfw.  Computers
connected to the internet via real connections (no nat) also get the
same error message.

My first concern is where these connection rejection messages
appear, they don't show up in /var/log/messages or
/var/log/ppp.conf.

Secondly, how do I fix the problem. As far as I can tell, the vpn is
working properly inside the lan, the problem is in connecting from
outside the lan.

It should be noted that I have samba running, and the network
shares may be being assigned by samba through the lan, and not
the vpn, but I'll continue to work on that myself.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!!!

Charles

support at tecpro.com