[pptp-server] pptpd through a cisco..?

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Tue Jun 6 13:11:00 CDT 2000

Terrelle,

I use a ipchains based firewall (Seawall) developed by Tom Eastep. Who
BTW... also contributes to this list. Tom has gone into great detail in
providing the necessary "hooks" for dealing with a PPTP server running on
the firewall itself or behind the firewall. By simply editing a (well
documented) configuration file, the firewall script (Seawall) will issue the
necessary ipchain (ACCEPT), ipmasqadm (port forward) and ipfwd (protocol)
commands to deal with your particular network infrastructure. Its worth a
look... I know I had a "load of problems" inititally until I used what Tom
has developed as my firewall. Save yourself the headaches and take a look at
http://seawall.sourceforge.net

The reason I mentioned the above is there are only an infinite number of
ways to configure a firewall using ipchains. e.g. Your "default" input,
output and forward policies and weather or not your are using user-defined
chains. Any commands that I post may or may not be needed based on how your
firewall is currently configured. Plus, if I remember right... I also had to
patch the kernel to handle a PPTP server running behind the firewall. FWIW:
The Seawall documentation (http://seawall.sourceforge.net/PPTP.html)
mentions the pre-requisites and the WEB sites on how to obtain the required
PPTP patches along with "ipmasqadm" and "ipfwd"

Steve Cowles