[pptp-server] Linux and Win9x (and: Non-TCP protocol sharing?)

Scott M. Stone sstone at taos.com
Wed Jun 7 13:32:30 CDT 2000

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

> -> On NetBEUI vs. SMB, NetBEUI is the protocol on which SMB was first built,
> -> but now Windows (and Samba) support SMB in TCP/IP. You don't need NetBEUI to
> -> give access to shares.
>
> 	Do I need to re-configure the Win9x boxes to use TCP/IP instead of
> NetBEUI for their shares?
>
> 	(Sorry, this is getting offtopic, but it'm my last SMB
> question...)

remove IPX and Netbeui as protocols in your network panel, that's usually
the best thing to do.  You can also remove the bindings for Windows
Networking from IPX and Netbeui and only have it bind to TCP/IP if for
some reason you need IPX around (ie, for Doom).

there's no reason whatsoever to have Netbeui installed at all, AFAICT.