[pptp-server] PoPToP difficulties

Matthew Ramsay matthewr at moreton.com.au
Thu Jun 15 12:56:34 CDT 2000

> Brian Aust here from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA.

G'day Brian from NC, USA.. this is Matt from Sunny Brisbane AUSTRALIA.. (but
i'm actually in San Jose, CA at the moment)

>  Trying to set up a
> Linux PoPToP server at my company from which roaming Windoze98 clients

 ok.. should be a piece of cake...
see below

 > Company real IP addresses:  208.9.99.64-208.9.99.150
 >
 > Company internal fake NAT'd addresses:  10.1.1.1-10.1.1.99 and
 > 10.2.1.1-10.2.1.99
 >
 > Linux PoPToP server is NATALIE, with fake IP of 10.1.1.69, but NAT ives
 it
 > a real IP address of 208.9.99.146
 >
 > My test W98 client is at my apartment, with a persistent RoadRunner cable
 > modem connection, real IP address of 24.25.30.238
 >
 > NATALIE is running RedHat Linux 6.2.  All I did was install the PoPToP
 1.0.0
 > RPM, and put the PPTPD.init file in the /etc/rc.d/init.d directory.
 >
 > Changed the line in pptpd.init to /usr/sbin/pptpd -d   per the HOWTO.
 >
 > Added a line in /etc/ppp/chap-secrets as:
 >      baust  *  mypass  *
 >
 > I have lock, debug, auth, +chap, and proxyarp all in the options file in
 > /etc/ppp
 >
 > And finally, in the /etc/pptpd.conf file, i have the following:
 >      localip 10.1.1.1-99
 >      remoteip 24.25.30.238    #this is my RoadRunner IP address
 >
 > (BTW -- i have also tried localip 208.9.99.147-148 in case it wanted real
 ip
 > addresses locally, instead of NAT'd ones)

 No No No.. you stuffed up big time.
Should be like this:

 /etc/pptpd.conf
 speed 115200
 option /etc/config/options.pptp
 localip 10.1.1.99
 remoteip 10.1.1.90-98

 You see. .the localip is the ip the tunnel will get on the server.. while
 the remote ip is the range of addresses the tunnel will give to the
endpoint
 of any connecting clients..

 That's what the error was for.. now you may want to review some of yur
other
 files as well.. for instance:

 /etc/ppp/options:

 name poptop
 auth
 require-chap
 proxyarp

 (you may not need proxyarp.. take it out if you still have problems)

 /etc/ppp/chap-secrets

 brian poptop brianpwd *

 Cheers,
 Matt