[pptp-server] remote administration (keywords: ADSL,PPTP through PPTP,Telnet,FTP)

Ivo Truxa truxa at truxoft.com
Fri Jun 23 08:21:57 CDT 2000

Please excuse if my questions are lame, it was not my intension. I studied
the FAQ, HOWTO, mail-list-archives, made a research on SE, but I am still
not sure about the right replies.

A remark to the list-moderator: a searchable web-interface to the archives
would be VERY helpful and could save the list subscribers from many lamers
like me!

I want to use PPTP to securely administrate a dedicated Linux web server
from my NT machine over the Internet. My questions:

1. I hope I understood well that once I build the tunnel between the remote
machine and me, all the communication runs encrypted (presuming MPPE having
installed on both ends). Is that correct, or is there any way some
connections to the remote machine could escape from the tunnel?

2. Strangely I have not seen using Telnet through PPTP mentioned anywhere as
a secure alternative to SSLTelnet, SSH and other secure shells. Is there any
problem in using Telnet trough a PPTP or is there some better alternative?

3. Same for FTP. Well, I understand that installing Samba would be probably
better alternative, but would FTP through PPTP still work fine (and secure)?
I suppose there should be no problem, but would like to have it confirmed.

4. I am connected to the Internet through a VPN (also PPTP). I use ADSL
modem that connects me to the network of my national telecom. Through a
tunnel (PPTP) in their network I am connected to my ISP. How the connection
to my remote web server would be made? (My remote web server is outside of
the national telecom network). It seems to me that I would need to build a
second tunnel (to my server) inside of the tunnel to my ISP (and to the
Internet). Is it possible at all?

5. Has anybody experience with a remote installation of PoPToP incl.
MSCHAPv2/MPPE? Are there any risks I should be especially aware of, or
things to check before I start? Or can it be done only locally and I should
ask my IHP to install it for me?

Many thanks in advance for any hints,
Ivo Truxa

PS: I am trying to send this message to the list without subscribing. I am
not sure if it works. If replying to the list, please attach a CC to my
address too: pptp at truxoft.com

Thanks