[pptp-server] PoPToP remote browsing... question.

Jose M. Sanchez opjose at ex-pressnet.com
Wed Jun 28 05:46:02 CDT 2000

Hello all;

Thanks to the help and pointers I got here, I finally got PoPToP working.

Users who dial up via an ISP, and have not previously set up any domain
membership, seem to have no trouble viewing the shares on the remote LAN.
(See below)

Currently I'm trying to get my Masq'd machines to also view the shares on
the remote LAN.

I'm actually able to MAP to remote drives and printers if I invoke them by
name.

But I'm not able to browse the remote network. I can browse individual
machines shares if I manually enter the machine name in the Explorer.

This raises the questions:

1) Do I have to install anything on my local LAN's Masq box? (Mandrake 7.01)

2) Do I have to modify any rule sets for IPCHAINS to view the remote
network?

3) I see that Windows presents the name of the CURRENT domain to the remote
when the connection is established. I found this in the registry.

I had to change this on the dialup clients that had already "joined" another
domain at some point as no matter what I did, Windows reverted back to the
original domain when connecting.

I edited the registry entries to use the remote DOMAIN name instead. After I
made this change the dialup/isp users were able to browse the PoPToP'd LAN.

There seems to be no way to modify this elsewhere in windows... even after
removing and re-installing all network components!

I tried this same technique on my Masq'd boxes, but it had no affect. I
could still connect to the remote shares, but I could not browse them.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks a bunch!

-JMS
opjose at ex-pressnet.com