[pptp-server] The First Step...

Thomas Koschate koschate at bigfoot.com
Thu Mar 2 19:51:44 CST 2000

is driving me crazy!  I've got PoPToP 1.0 set up on a RedHat 6.1 box
directly connected to the internet.  At this point, I haven't compiled in
any of the MS-CHAP stuff - it's strictly the PoPToP distribution.  When I
dial into it from an NT4 laptop using PPTP via an ISP, the laptop connects
and is assigned a correct IP address according to the pptpd.conf file (i.e.
on the same subnet as the rest of the private network), but it can't
communicate with the private network (or even the PoPToP server), and none
of the other machines can see it.  On the server side, an interface has
been created and assigned an expected IP address, and a point-to-point
route is set up.

There are no obvious error messages in the pptpd.log or messages files, and
the connection appears willing to remain up as long as I am willing to keep
it up.  A status message is added to the pptpd.log on a periodic basis that
seems totally benign, but I can't do a damned thing with the connection.
I've tried variations in the client settings, including both alllowing the
server to change the client gateway and not allowing the change, but the
effect is the same.

Can anyone help me past this hurdle?