[pptp-server] client problem

Tom Eastep teastep at evergo.net
Fri Mar 3 12:04:50 CST 2000

On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Scott Venier wrote:

> Hello.  I'm having a problem with the pptp client.  I'm trying to use it
> on a linux machine to connect to a winnt server.  If I use a windows 98
> pptp client, I can connect just fine, so I know the route for GRE packets
> is good in both directions.
>
> I've pasted in the useful portions of syslog output below.  Using a packet
> sniffer, I can confirm that the TCP controll channel gets established
> correctly(?) (ethereal shows success in its disection of the TCP packets I
> can past that too if you want to see it) and GRE packets are going onto
> the wire.
>
> I'm not getting any reply from the pptp server.  pppd complains that it's
> LCP requests time out.
>
> I've tried kernel 2.2.5-15 and 2.2.14, pppd version 2.3.10 with the
> mschap/mppe patch applied.  I grabbed the rc4 files from SSLeay version
> 0.6.6b and I'm using pptp-linux-1.0.2.  I've tried just about every
> possible combination of putting +chapms, +chapms-v2, mppe-40, mppe-128,
> and mppe-stateless on the command line.  My options file just contains
> lock and noauth.  I have my nt domain account and password in
> /etc/ppp/chap-secrets.  But I don't think it's an auth problem, since I'm
> not even getting an LCP Config Reply.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

No, but for what it's worth, I'm seeing the same behavior here when I try
to connect to a NT PPTP server at work. In addition to several Linux
boxes, I have NT/W2k and W98 systems here and they connect fine. My Linux
boxes can also connect locally to both the NT and W2k servers but I'm
seeing exactly the same thing in my log that you are when I attempt to
connect to work...

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it