[pptp-server] Can't Ping machine

Barsalou MJBarsalou at attglobal.net
Sat Mar 4 14:40:21 CST 2000

So do I have this right?:

Your NT box is connecting to an ISP via dialup.
Your Linux box is connected to an ISP (maybe the same one?)
You have PoPToP 1.0 running on a RedHat 6.1 server.
The Linux box is connected to several other machines (private network)
The private network is working well.
All boxes on the private network can browse the internet.
The Linux box is doing the authentication for the NT pptp client.
During initial testing you have no firewall.

What does the route table look like on the NT machine after you connect to
the linux box?

Can you ping the ISP's internet address of the NT machine from the Linux
box?

The reason I was thinking that you would need forwarding on is because let's
say the ISP gives you an address like:209.124.23.90

Your private network for example is 192.168.1.0.  The address you get from
the pptp server is 192.168.1.32

I'm not completely sure about this part, but if you are not forwarding IP
packets then I don't believe any traffic will flow from the 192 network to the
209 network, even if you have a route set.  Try turning it on just for the sake
of the test.

Can anyone validate this?

Good Luck.

Mike