[pptp-server] broadcast resolution with pptp/ppp/whatever...

Scott M. Stone sstone at taos.com
Tue Mar 7 11:51:24 CST 2000

OK, this is kind of cheesy, but one thing I'm trying to get working
through this PPTP link of mine is Homeworld (yeah, it's a game).  It has
an option for "TCP/IP LAN Connection"... it never lets you specify any IP
address for a server, though, so I'm *assuming* it's trying to resolve via
broadcast.  The remote pptp client is being assigned an IP on my local
subnet and is using proxyarp.  All forwarding between my local ethernet
network and the pptp link is enabled.  however, the machines never see
each other as being on the same 'lan'.

If I do a broadcast ping from my firewall/pptp server, all it sees is its
OWN ip address (ie, not even ones on the local subnet), so I'm thinking
that ipchains might filter broadcast packets..?  (anyone confirm this?
can it be changed?  no mention of 'broadcast' in ipchains's man page).

HOWEVER, when I do the broadcast ping from my Win98SE box, if I look at my
ethernet hub, all of the lights blink while I'm doing it.  If I try to
play Homeworld, while it's trying to look for other players on the local
net, ONLY THE LIGHT FOR THE WIN98SE box (the one running homeworld)
blinks... so I'm not *sure* that it's using broadcast to resolve.

Anyway, if anyone has any clues on this, I'd appreciate it.  Poo on Sierra
for designing an otherwise excellent game with such anemic network play
options.  I guess they *really* want you to play on won.net and don't want
you 'faking' LAN connections..

... I guess I could always enable IPX over pptp, though, but that's
another bitch and a half in and of itself... IPX...eech.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone at taos.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company