[pptp-server] LINUX

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Wed Mar 8 05:02:47 CST 2000

See inline...

Ryan Matijcio wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> One problem I can see with a Linux pptp server in a large NT enviroment is
> account management.  I can see it being a real nightmare maintaining the
> chap-secrets file (the one that maintains the username and password for the
> vpn accounts.)  As far as I've read there is nothing to handle this.  In NT
> you can easily just turn PPTP on or off for an account in user manager.

Actually, you _may_ be able to work around this via a combination of
samba and pptp.  Use a single secret for everyone and make sure it's not
a valid user account, then control access to the linux shares via user
accounts.  The user accounts can be provided by an NT server.

You'd still have old employees being able to connect to the server, but
nnot actually connect to anything once there.

Periodically change the secret...

Just a random thought.

--Yan