[pptp-server] LINUX PPTPD VS NT PPTP

Yan Seiner yan at cardinalengineering.com
Wed Mar 8 05:09:17 CST 2000

See inline.

Sergio Dominguez wrote:

> Hi:
>
>  I have a working PPTP server with Linux. I was told to do
> VPN with PPTP at my work and I did it with LInux, simply cause
> I didnt want to get into problems with NT.
>
>   Thing is, now my boss is asking pros and cons about using
> Linux instead of NT for PPTP, so I dont know ir for sure.
>
>  I know the big pros about Linux as an OS ( thats why I used
> it in the first place ) but what I want is a more precise list
> of pros in the PPTP server area.

Pros:  	more stable than NT RAS (I have had absolutely horrible luck
with RAS)
	Easier to administer remotely (I have diagnosed a network failure from
half a world away on a borrowed computer)
	Rock reliable once configured

Cons:	Takes a while to get configured (NT is quicker out of the box)
	NT account management is more integrated (but see my response to
another thread)

>  the first thing that comes to my mind is that an NT server
> can handles only three PPTP processes at atime, is it right?

Actually, it will handle as many as you configure AFAIK.  There may be
some resource starvation with RAS, though.  RAS is the most buggy piece
of commercial software I have ever encoutered.

--Yan