[pptp-server] LINUX

Noel Koethe noel at koethe.net
Wed Mar 8 16:34:00 CST 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Yan Seiner wrote:

> > One problem I can see with a Linux pptp server in a large NT enviroment is
> > account management.  I can see it being a real nightmare maintaining the
> > chap-secrets file (the one that maintains the username and password for the
> > vpn accounts.)  As far as I've read there is nothing to handle this.  In NT
> > you can easily just turn PPTP on or off for an account in user manager.
>
> Actually, you _may_ be able to work around this via a combination of
> samba and pptp.  Use a single secret for everyone and make sure it's not
> a valid user account, then control access to the linux shares via user
> accounts.  The user accounts can be provided by an NT server.

It would be great if its will be possible to authenticate against a NT
domain controllers. Are there any plans to insert this?

Maybe these hints can help:
We are using squid on linux and we authenticate the useres with smb_auth
on the proxy:

http://de.eu.mirrors.freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/09/09/936890596.html

Or this one sound also quite good:

http://de.eu.mirrors.freshmeat.net/appindex/1999/03/21/922048570.html
"Authen::Smb allows you to authenticate against NT domain controllers from
a UNIX environment..."

Maybe a more proffessional administrator with PoPToP find a solution and
post it here.

--
Noel Koethe
							www.linuxhq.de