[pptp-server] LINUX

Scott M. Stone sstone at taos.com
Wed Mar 8 19:02:10 CST 2000

On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Spencer Jr., Michael wrote:

> Note:  I'm a Linux fanatic and think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
> However, I'll put my MCSE-wannabe hat on and speak objectively.  Fellow
> Linux fanatics, please don't kill me.  :)
>
> Linux and Windows NT are similar, in that they're both very effective server
> operating systems.  However, Windows NT is more expensive and easier, while
> Linux is less expensive and harder.  Or to put it more accurately, Microsoft
> spent a lot of money on 'idiot-proofing' Windows NT, making lots of wizards
> and helpers.  You pay for all that convenience, however, with stability
> (Windows NT crashes a lot, the busier the machine gets) and price (How much
> for a CAL?!!).  Linux is better technology (from a techie standpoint), but
> harder to use.  You'll spend a lot of time reading HOWTO's and editing text
> files and playing trial-and-error games.  But once something's working, it
> WORKS well for a long time.  And since you've put all the effort into
> reading the HOWTO, you know how it REALLY works and are no longer dependent
> on Microsoft to do things for you.

I would disagree only on the 'trial and error' part -- with Linux it's a
lot easier to know exactly how to fix something and go after it.  Windows
isolates you from stuff enough that it almost *must* be done via trial and
error....

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone at taos.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company