[pptp-server] Disconnection not stopping the pppd process

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Tue Mar 14 09:04:32 CST 2000

Good question... I am also having a problem with this. e.g. If I forget to
"tear down" my PPTP connection "first" before logging out from my ISP, then
the connection on my linux box remains open.

Is their an equivelent to what "mgetty" is doing by monitoring the modems
DCD (or whatever) so that when it detects that the remote has hung-up, it
will properly tear down the pppd session. Couldn't this be done through...
(from man pppd)

       chap-interval n
              If this option is given, pppd will rechallenge  the
              peer every n seconds.

       chap-max-challenge n
              Set  the maximum number of CHAP challenge transmis­
              sions to n (default 10).

e.g. If a chap re-challenge fails... tear down the connection. Or is pppd
already doing this and my system is not properly configured.

Steve Cowles