[pptp-server] PoPToP and Authentication Questions

Adam Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Tue Mar 14 12:50:15 CST 2000

 From          : lists>pptp-server-admin
 To            : adam
 Subject       : Re: [pptp-server] PoPToP and Authentication Questions
 Date          : 01/01/70 01:01

>>>missed? Regardless of the ansewr, can someone provide me with a link to
>>>documentation detailing the setup of such a scenario? Thanks
>>Authentication is actually handled by PPP.  PPP supports PAM if you use PAP
>>authentication, which means no encryption.  With PAM you can authenticate
>>against anything you want.  With CHAP  you must maintain a hideous secrets
>>file on the PPP server, because you don't have the password you can't auth
>>against something like PAM.  A couple of people are pondering this dilemma,
>>but I haven't seen anything come through.  I am also eagerly awaiting this
>>feature (I want to auth with PAM against an LDAP server).  I'll buy pizza
>>for anyone who can provide a patch to let me CHAP against PAM.
>Interesting... The pizza that is :).

Hey, I'm serious.~

>Since one needs that password to CHAPinate, would you care if it was bare
>text stored ACL'd on the LDAP server?

I suppose if I don't have a choice, then I don't have one, but i'm not too
excited about storing a plain text password.  Is it possible to CHAPinate
first, and store the chapination?

>I've had it working this way against ICRadius, but never completed that
>project. It was quite an ugly hack at best, but the underlying pain in
>the neck was that to make the CHAP compares work, you start with the plain
>text password and go forward, not take and MD5, etc... password and work
>any other way.

Yep, I relize this and am curious how NT gets around this problem?  Certainly
they don't store the plain text password?~